Saturday, April 22, 2006

Who's The Best MCs, Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas...

It’s a celebration bitches! I’m like 3-6 at the Oscars – I’m happy to be here, but how the fuck did this shit happen? I have been blogging a year. Twelve months. Wow. Talk about longevity. And, notwithstanding some shit on Valerie Plame (I ain’t forget, Glory), and some other shit I wanted to do, it’s my fucking blog-oversary, dammit!

So, I am going to lay to rest my self-imposed crusade to save the world (or at least black America), and do a series on what I care about. Yes, series. So, some of y’all may be entertained. If so, tell a friend. Some of y’all may be enlightened. Definitely tell a friend. Some of y’all may be incensed. Comment, definitely comment. And some of y’all may not care one wit. See youse in like a week, cause from now and continuing for the next 4-5 posts, I am doing my Hip-Hop top ten lists.

I got four, and possibly a bonus top 10 on like Friday. Today we will have the 10 greatest single emcees. After that, the top 10 groups of all time. Then we will have the top ten battles of all time, followed by the top 10 verses of all time. We will round it out with the top 10 female lyricists of all time.

This will be fun!

First, let me say, that being a lyricist – as opposed to a rapper – is an ART. This is poetry where your creative license may cause disaster. Unlike spoken or written poetry, your voice, your rhythm, your cadence and your flow all become part of the composition and are all artificially controlled by the beat that you’re riding. Try to get too cocky, do too much, and you lose the beat. Once that happens...toast.

Additionally, hip-hop is arguably the world’s only competitive art form. Only in hip-hop is a piece created with the express intent to outshine your competition. Finally, this list is always in flux. Since 1996 (the first year of my list) there have been additions and subtractions, with artists going from worst to ... well let's just say significant changes. And, it could change tomorrow.

With that said, let’s get the party started!

Sonnyredd’s Top Ten MC’s of all time.



Number 10
KRS-One – Living legend. Don’t care what nobody says, he gave it to Nelly in 2004. He is also prophetic. He wrote this in 87.

some mc's be talkin' and talkin'
tryin' to show how black people are walkin
but I don't walk this way to portray
or reinforce stereotypes of today
like all my brothas eat chicken and watermelon
talk broken english and drug sellin'
See I'm tellin, and teaching real facts
The way some act in rap is kind of wack
and it lacks creativity and intelligence
but they don't care cause the company is sellin' it...

Sounds like an indictment of southern rap to me.

Number 9
Ice Cube- Wessyde! Before you start thinking about all the kiddie movies he makes today, let’s remember that he and MC Ren (who?) wrote the entire Straight Outta Compton Album. His solo albums were very pro-black music. I wonder how long it will be before somebody uses the Predator album to attack his star power.

I remember we painted our names on the wall for fun
Now it's "Rest in Peace" after every one
Except me, but I ain't the one to front
Seems like I'm viewin' a body after every month
Plus, I knew him when he was yea big
Pour beer on the curb before I take a swig
But somethin' ain't right
When it's a tragedy,
that's the only time that the family's tight
Lovin' each other in a caring mood
There's lots of people and lots of food
They say "Be Strong" and you're tryin'
But how strong can you be when you see your Pops cryin'?
So that's why Ice Cube's dressed up
Because the city is so fuckin' messed up
And everybody is so phony
Take a little time...to think about your dead homiez.


Number 8
Kool G. Rap – Mr. Superhead himself is also one of the most vicious and gifted lyricists who ever lived. Road to the Riches is an anthem (to me) to this day. A fierce battle rhymer, he is also one of the most vivid story tellers who ever blessed the mic.

Yo, Marley gives the slice, I get nice,
and my voice is twice as horrifying as Vincent Price
goes deep, till you fell in a spell of a sleep,
and while I'm countin' the money, you count sheep.
When G Rap strikes the mic, I recite the type of hype that you like,
and make the people unite.
I grip up hips and zip up lips, step on reps, you flip and wanna sip on my tip.
Take a deep breath, because you don't have another left.
Comin' back like I'm avengin' my brother's deat.
Makin' veterans run for medicine,
cuz I put out more lights in a fight than ConEdison.
Rip the damn cage like I'm on a rampage.
And if you want rage, I'm-a make front page.
Read the headlines, suckers, today’s the deadline,
your head is way past bedtime.


Number 7
Scarface– Sorry T.I. The King of the South is and – based upon your ability – will likely remain, Mister Mister Scarface. Face has style, substance, and depth in his words. Oh, and his flow is impeccable. But what he also brings to the table is a Christian message and a vivid reality. The South never has had a better ambassador. The rest of y’all, step your game up. (Re-read KRS’s verse.) btw- should Momma Redd ever pass...THIS will be read at the funeral. (I’m just a ‘lil ghetto.)

Don't cry mama, your baby boy done weathered the storm
And I found peace right here in your arms
By the way, how you gettin along, huh?
I know it's been tough bearing the pain since daddy's been gone
But, all in all, you still stood tall and never shed-ed a tear
I'm thankin God you still here
Cause, only heaven knows all my heartaches and setbacks
Goin from a high school dropout to shovelin wet wax
I'm never gon' forget that,
look in your eyes, [look in your eyes]
When you told me that my grandfather died
It was like nothing had happened,
[naw] and I'm knowin that you miss him
But to accept death, is just the sign of a good Christian
And I miss him, in words, and I lived it in life [lived it in life]
and I take it step by step, but I take it in Christ [take it in Christ]
Cuz I'm knowin I can't make it alone [uh, uh]
You told me not to buy you a new house because in heaven's your home
and as hurt as I was, I had to smile witcha
and thank God that we crossed paths cuz you one strong sister
and I'm never gon' forget ya
Heaven sent us an angel and the world gon' miss ya... Mama


Number 6
Nas – I may be killed for this. First, there was no question he was going to make the list. None. But, I couldn’t see him beating the folks above him in a battle, and failing that, no props. Nas’s one failing (aside from getting murdered on his first album by the one guest appearance) is that it took him so long to find his voice. He started out a back packer, then he went Escobar on us. Esco was fun, but it wasn’t him. No doubt the boy is nice with the verbs though, without question. He's a backpacker again, and it is a good thing.

Dear Born, you'll be out soon, stay strong
Out in New York the same shit is goin on
the crack-heads stalking, loud-mouths is talking
hold, check out the story yesterday when I was walking
the nigga you shot last year tried to appear like he hurtin' something
word to mother, i heard him fronting
and he be pumping on your block
your man gave him your glock
and now they run together, what up son, whatever
since I'm on the streets I'ma put it to a cease
but I heard you blew a nigga with a ox for the phone piece
Whylin on the Island, but now in Elmira
better chill cause them niggaz will put that ass on fire
...
so stay civilised, time flies
though incarcerated your mind [dies]
I hate it when your mom cries


Number 5
Big L
– Simply put, that nigga! Murdered before his time, Big L was a member of both Harlem World (Not the bad Ma$e album, but the good loose knit group of rappers) along with Murder Mase, Killa Cam, and Herb McGruff, and the DITC Crew along with the PR Don Fat Joe, Showbiz and AG, and Lord Finesse. There were rumors of L going with Roc-a-fella before he was killed. That would have been ridiculous. He and Jigga have a 8 minute freestyle they did together, and damnit if L didn’t put Jigga through his paces. Simply put, the single best freestyler ever. Built to battle, and could murder a nigga, lyrically.

I got more riches than you, fuck more bitches than you
Only thing I haven't got is more, stitches than you
Fuckin punk, you ain't a leader --what? Nobody Follow you
You was never shit, your mother shoulda swallowed you
(Mmmm.. WHOO!) You on some tag along flunkie yes man shit
Do me a favor, please get off the next man dick
And if you think I can't fuck with whoever, put your money up
Put your jewels up, no fuck it put your honey up
Put your raggedy house up nigga, or shut your mouth up
before I buck lead, and make a lot of blood shed
Turn your tux red, I'm far from broke, got enough bread
And mad hoes, ask Beavis I get nuttin But head(Classic!)
{*laughter*} My game is, vicious and cool
Fuckin chicks is a rule
If my girl think I'm loyal then that bitch is a fool
How come, you can listen to my first album
and tell where a lot of niggaz got they whole style from?
(YEAH!) So what you actin for?
You ain't half as raw, you need to practice more
Somebody tell this nigga sum'un, 'fore I crack his jaw
You runnin with boys, I'm runnin with men
I'ma be rippin the mics until I'm a hundred and ten
Half y'all niggaz like, "Damnit this nigga done done it again"
I throw slugs at idiots, no love for city cops
I sport a pretty watch, eight-hundred and fifty rocks
I'm makin wonderful figures
I don't fuck with none of you niggaz
I might pull out this gun on your niggaz
and rob every last one of you niggaz


Number’s 4 and 3
Big Daddy Kane/Rakim
- This is a a tie, or a toss-up. Let me put this into context. In 1989, the question was, who’s the best MC, Big Daddy or Rakim. By 1993, the consensus was Rakim, owing largly to BDK’s unfortunate foray into pop culture. (Remember Madonna’s Sex book?) Both were 5%ers, both had strong pro black lyrics, and both brought to the game a level of lyricisim that – until recently – was the main-stay of hip hop. Make up your own mind.


Compare BDK's
Here I am . . . R-A-W
terrorist, here to bring trouble to
phoney emcees, I move on and sieze
I just conquer, and stomp another rapper with ease
Cause I'm at my apex and others are be-low
nothing but a milliliter, I'm a kilo
Second to none, making emcees run
Also don't try to step to me, cause I ain't the one
I relieve rappers just like Tylenol
and they know it, so I don't see why you all
try to front, perpetrating a stunt
when you know that I'll smoke you up like a blunt
I'm genuine like Gucci, raw like sushi
The Sage of Rage is what rap did to me
To make me want to create chaos and mayhem
cold rock a party, until the A.M.
I'll make a muscle, grab the mike and hustle
while you stand dazed and amazed, I'll bust a little rhyme
with authority, superiority
and captivate the whole crowd's majority
The rhymes I use definately amuse
better than Dynasty or Hill Street Blues
I'm sure to score, endure for more without a flaw
Cause I get RAW!


With Rakim’s
I came in the door, i said it before
I never let the mic magnatize me no more
But it's biting me, fighting me, inviting me to rhyme
I can't hold it back, I'm looking for the line,
Taking off my coat, clearing my throat
My rhyme will be kicking it until I hit my last note
My mind'll range to find all kinds of ideas
Self-esteem makes it seem like a thought took years to build
But still say a rhyme after the next one
Prepared, never scared, I'll just bless one
And you know that I'm the soloist
So Eric B, make 'em clap to this


Number 2
Biggie/Tupac
– They are united as one. Neither would be on this list without the other one. They are the ying and yang of hip-hop, the holy duo who each spawn imitations and tributes from lyricists from around the globe. Youse guys make up your minds on which you prefer because, I know better than to try to convince a Tupac fan that he is dead. Both had their careers cut short, both were talented lyricists, and the impact of both is still felt in hip-hop today. Tupac is not one of my favorite lyricists, but he possessed the best flow of any rapper who ever lived. No wonder he is followed by so many. Think rap’s Bob Marley – certainly not the best artist in the genre, but the best for the people. Biggie, on the other hand – the best story teller in hip-hop. If G. Rap and Slick Rick are rap’s Cecil B. Demile and Francis Ford Coppola, Biggie is Martin Scorcese. And I am not calling him B.I.G. He is Biggie Smalls, and Biggie Smalls is the illest. We’ll deal with the beef later.

Biggie
Since it's on, I call my nigga Arizona Ron
From Tuscon, pushed the black Yukon
Usually had the slow grooves on, mostly rock the Isley
Stupid as a young'un, chose not the moves wisely
Sharper with game, him and his crooks, caught some juxs
Heard it was sweet, bout three-fifty a piece
Ron bought a truck, two bricks laid in the cut
His peeps got bucked, got locked the fuck up
That's when Ron vanished, came back, speakin Spanish
Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats
He's a criminal, nigga made America's Most
Killed his baby mother brother, slit his throat
The nigga got bagged with the toast
Weeded, took it to trial, beat it
Now he feel he undefeated, he mean it
Nothing to lose, tattooed around his gun wounds
Everything to gain, embedded in his brain
And me I feel the same for this money and diamonds
Specially if my daughter cryin, I ain't lyin
Y'all know the science


2pac
This is for the masses the lower classes
The ones you left out, jobs were givin', better livin'
But we were kept out
Made to feel inferior, but we're the superior
Break the chains in out brains that made us fear yah
Pledge allegiance to a flag that neglects us
Honor a man that who refuses to respect us
Emancipation, proclamation, Please!
Nigga just said that to save the nation
These are lies that we all accepted
Say no to drugs but the governments' keep it
Running through our community, killing the unity
The war on drugs is a war on you and me
And yet they say this is the Home of The Free
But if you ask me its all about hyprocracy
The constitution, Yo, it don't apply to me
Lady Liberty still the bitch lied to me
Steady strong nobody's gonna like what I pumpin'
But its wrong to keeping someone from learning something
So get up, its time to start nation building
I'm fed up, we gotta start teaching childern
That they can be all that they wanna to be
There's much more to life than just poverty

Number 1
Jay-Z – I know you weren’t shocked. And nor should you be. I am going to make this case, statistically like they do for the baseball hall of fame. Number 1, he has two “five mic” albums – Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint (Nas has 2, too). Secondly, he has been on top of the game – i.e. the guy everyone else was gunning for – for 9 years. Thirdly, he was involved in one of the greatest battles of all time. Four – he is willing to take artistic chances – Unplugged, Best of Both Worlds and Blueprint 2. Five – he raps with everyone. Six – Who do you think wrote Foxy Brown’s first album? He is one part Big Daddy Kane (who mentored him. Big Jaz, who?), one part Public Enemy (y'all need to listen closely. Haven't y'all been paying attention all this time? It's in my freaking titles!!), and one part back packer. Is he the greatest storyteller? No, Biggie is. Is he the best freestyler? Nope, that’s Big L. Best flow? Nope- Pac. But pound for pound, he is the best all-round. But...I’ll let the artist speak for himself.

Motherfuckers -
say that I'm foolish
I only talk about jewels (bling bling)
Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?
See, I'm influenced by the ghetto you ruined
That same dude you gave nothin, I made somethin doin
what I do through and through and
I give you the news - with a twist it's just his ghetto point-of-view
The renegade; you been afraid
I penetrate pop culture, bring 'em a lot closer
to the block where they
pop toasters, and they live with they moms
Got dropped roasters, from botched robberies niggaz crotched over
Mommy's knocked up cause she wasn't watched over
Knocked down by some clown when child support knocked
No he's not around - now how that sound to ya, jot it down
I bring it through the ghetto without ridin 'round
hidin down duckin strays from frustrated youths stuck in they ways
Just read a magazine that fucked up my day
How you rate music that thugs with nothin relate to it?
I help them see they way through it - not you
Can't step in my pants, can't walk in my shoes
Bet everything you worth; you lose your tie and your shirt



Honorable mentions are in the comments.