Thursday, May 11, 2006

Now Star is Mad I Won't Grant Him An Interview

I am taking a break from the pursuit of hip-hop immortality to address what is a tragic miscarriage of justice and shows how fucking unbelievable this country is. I live in Miami. This morning, like every morning, I turned on my radio to tune in to the Star and Buc Wild show. It is a great show that has the courage to challenge the vicious stereotypes surrounding black manhood in this country. Where else could Shahrazad Ali co-exist with a black republican married to a white woman? Where else can "nigga" be bandied about like it is on the streets, but in the context of discussions about Ann Rand? No where! But wait...

To my utter amazement, Prince Markie Dee (Fat...Boys...Fat-fat...Boys) was “spinning” or rather blandly talking up the traditional clear channel communications pabulum that they pass off as hip-hop or r&b (rap and bullshit) this morning. Where was my “ko-bo-bo-bo”? What the fuck?!? They fired Star? Fucking re-got-damned-dic-you-lous.

The official story is that Star, without provocation, said that he would molest DJ Envy’s daughter. He went on to call Envy’s wife a “slant eyed” whore. *Gasp!* The horror. It was on the O’Reilly Factor, so it must be true!

Nope.

It is not often that you witness news. But when it happens, you remember it. I can say I was there. And that is not the whole story. I’ll tell you what happened -- what really happened.

Yeah, Star said terrible things. Yeah, he threatened to “R.Kelly” Envy’s “seed.” Yeah, yeah, yeah. So the fuck what?

Let’s look at exactly what it is being reported Star said (courtesy of the transcript as posted on Hiphopmusic.com)

No, let me just touch on this real quick... Yes, I disrespected your seed. If you didn't hear me, I said, I would like to do an R. Kelly on your seed, on your little baby girl. I would
like to tinkle on her.

"Call the cops"? Nigga, please, there's no bodyguards. ... I'm disrespecting your seed. I would like to skeet on the face of your seed. Now that's, that's real talk dog. You have to come holla at me now. Call me, I'll meet you somewhere, but don't act like
you were waiting in some parking lot with like 50 niggas. Please.

I want to do an R. Kelly in the mouth of your seed ... You holla at me now. I'm the easiest man in the world to find.


Okay. I am not responsible for that transcript, but it generally follows my memory of what was said that morning. My point is that, notwithstanding the terribleness of the words, there is context outside of this passage, or the other passages you will read and hear that have to be remembered.

The context was provocation. He was provoking DJ Envy. “Now you have to come see me...” was his statement. The listeners are getting an education about the way of the world, one that is missed in the hype of “slant eyed whore” (acknowledging that “slant eyed whore” is bad, because it is bad) he was saying and showing that, this is not real life, this is the radio. These personalities whose overt ‘street cred’ you all (the listeners, particularly the young black and brown ones) emulate are not gangsters, even if, “they play one on T.V.” Envy won’t be talking tough again, and that is a good thing.

Star proved his point. Often in life we win battles, only to lose wars. Here, I think the battle was won, and a guarenteed contract means that even if he lost the war, he'll be okay. At the end of the day i will always remember, Envy didn’t do anything -- his wife did. That, my friends, is literally a bitch move. (Me pun? Definitely.)