Friday, May 27, 2005

Week End Round Up

Okay, I knew if I just waited for a minute, something stupid would happen. I was utterly sure of it and, I am happy to say, I am not disappointed.

First, we turn to Bali, Indonesia. Seems that while the US is fighting the war on drugs like a sissy, those Indonesians really know how to “get medieval on your ass.”

See, there is a young woman from Australia who, while on vacation, “attempted” to smuggle 9 lbs. of pot into the country. Ok, shit happens. Ask John Forte. (Do a Yahoo! search.) Well, folks in Indo, don’t cotton much to that sort of thing. When they discovered the pot, they locked her up. So, where’s the story, you ask? Well, prosecutors asked for life in prison, but the court had leave to issue the death penalty. The death penalty. For pot. That’s what I call a drug law. Not that I’m pro-capital punishment, because I am decidedly not, but, I must admit that I am impressed with the dedication to which the courts in Indo (sounds like Endo. Snoop Dogg better stay out of there.) handle their drug offenders. They don’t play.

The story was funny because the young Australian woman has become a cause celeb in her home land. Made funnier because she is, or rather was, a beautician, so the coverage was as much about her wardrobe as her fate. I really feel for women defendants. Not only are they judged on their sincerity, but also their choice of designers. It’s tough being a woman.

In other news, I am pretty angry at ABC news this morning. I suppose that angry is the wrong word, more like frustrated. Last night, Primetime Live ran a story about children, who largely due to their parent’s drug addictions, have to live with their grandmothers. Their stories are tragic, and I really do feel for them. But what annoys me is that all of the families profiled were black. I won’t really go down the “we ain’t all poor rant” but suffice it to say that I am annoyed.

Elsewhere, P Diddy, Puffy Combs, was ordered to pay $21,000 a month in child support. I know that I am in the minority here, and I admit that $250,000 a year for your child is excessive, but hey, Puffy’s kid is going to have expenses. Gold and Platinum teeth are expensive, these days. Seriously, if dad is living in Mid-town Manhattan, why shouldn’t junior live like a upper middle class American. Fair is fair.

Finally, the entire hip-hop nation will be on Miami Beach this weekend, beginning the mass exodus of locals who flock to the hills this time of year. For those that are going, enjoy and stay safe. And please, don’t embarrass us. No riots. No fights. No deaths. Thanks.

That’s it for me. See youse next week, barring some other earth shattering news.