Friday, November 11, 2005

And [Forget] that weed, it keeps you broke...

invest in pounds of herbs and profit if niggaz wanna smoke dope.

Inspiration. When I first heard the lyrics above, it changed my whole outlook on my life. On its face, it seems that the artist (and the single greatest EMCEE to ever draw breath) is exhorting his listeners to sell drugs. However, as rappers are quick to point out, it isn’t the words it’s the message that counts.

Forget smoking dope--engage in commerce. Pure profundity. I took this advice literally, forgot childish pursuits and got serious about my life and my direction.

Few years later, I found myself at a crossroads. I did very poorly on an exam, during school, and was ready to quit. Then someone said...

Hov' don't run, Hov' stand and fight
Hov's a soldier, Hov' been fightin all his life so
What could you do to me? It's not new to me
[fail] me; fuck you - what's a couple dollars to me?
But you will respect me, simple as that
Or I got no problem goin back
I'm representin for the seat where Rosa Parks sat
Where Malcolm X was shot, where Martin Luther was popped...

So, okay, I knew I couldn’t quit. There was too much riding on my success. But how was I going to get through the rest of my education?

You are now lookin at one smart black boy
Momma ain't raised no fool
Put me anywhere on God's green earth, I'll triple my worth
Motherfucker - I, will, not, lose

I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell
I am a hustler baby, I'll sell water to a well
I was born to get cake, move on and switch states
Cop the Coupe with the roof gone and switch plates
Was born to dictate, never follow orders...

Okay, I graduate and land a gig. Thanks Hov. But, the days are long. Is success worth the sacrifices that I have to make?

Whoever said [legal] was the easy way out couldn't understand the mechanics
And the workings of the [business]world, granted
Nine to five is how to survive, I ain't trying to survive
I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot


Right. One last thing, hope you can help me out on this one. See, because I have allowed my thirst for success to put the blinders on, I have ignored someone very special to me, any advice?

Listen here summer baby, I just believe it's the right thing to do
I got a brand new bitch, corporate America
She showing me a lot of action right now
And I know you put me on my feet and all, but
I mean, it's time for me to grow, You gotta let me go baby, you gotta let me go.




My point is inspiration. Perhaps calling these lyrics inspiration is a misnomer. It is more like they reinforced the fire that was already in my belly. I know that on one else can give me that which I already possess. And that Mom and Dad sent me similar messages throughout my life: “Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die,” and “Of whom much is given, much is expected”, but it was and is nice to find reinforcement and motivation in music and art.

After all, Sonny “been focused since I said ‘Hi’ to 30.” So I ask you all, where do you draw motivation? What keeps you moving long after you wanted to quit?