Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Let me Just Say, I did not come here to show out,

I did not come here to impress you, because to tell you the truth when I leave here I'm gone, and I don't care what you think about me. But just remember, when it hits the fan, whether it's next year, 10 years, 20 years from now, you'll never be able to say this brother lied to you jack.

Why is it that we, as a people aren't more exacting? I ask this, not as a criticism, but merely an observation. We like to have our own things; awards shows, cable channels, radio stations, books; yet the quality of these things are often far from superb.

I ask this in light of a conversation I was having with a friend of mine when she attempted to suggest some books. Eric Jerome Dickey and Michael Baisden titles were brought up, then immediately dismissed--not because of some of the pertinent character and plot flaws (from the clichéd to the absurd)-- but because the grammar, the wording is ridiculously childish. We can do better. We should be.

Ah, well, I complain as is my wont, but I offer no real solutions. Just the thought that was passed to me from my forefathers (and mothers)--"be better".

Hey, white folks are lazy, too; so this is not a racial thing. Hell, by sheer numbers they are lazier than we are, as function of their being 200 of them for every 38 of us. But this is a pride thing. We used to have the best of everything, even if not immediately apparent to the world at large. We were taught to 'be better', now it's 'do just as good' (the grammar there is for added punch.) *sigh*.

On another note, Dame has done it again! The Ultimate Hustler booted the slacker and the stripper. Lessons from the corporate suite; (1) Do it or don't do it, but never ever do a half assed job, holler at chicks and be the tallest guy in the room. You stand out too much, and (2) complainers never go far, complainers who disrespect the boss- fare even worse, but complainers who disrespect the boss and don't produce--they get the door. Hollering 'I make 6 figures, yada, yada, yada', nobody ever said money equals class. (As an aside, it might not equal happiness either, but dammit, let me find that shit out on my own.)