Wednesday, June 21, 2006

To All The Christy's In Every City And Tiffany Lane's

We all hustlers, in love with the same thing


It's ya boy! But I am only stopping through. See, your boy done went corporate. Yeah, I got staff bitches. And not staph, like some people thought I would get (yeah, Sonnyredd also has a cleaning lady. Nothing says 'clean' like Pinesol, Lysol and somebody else's sweat. And this is a "I don't do Manuel Labor, but I'll give his mom a twenty to do it for me" digression.) but s-t-a-f-f. The Redd Squadron is in full effect. This is a movement, dammit!

Anyway, this little ditty ain't on me. Once again, young Lucky X will bless y'all with his meanderings. I have no real problem with it...'cept...(1)Fuck you in advance for what you say about Star. We are pro-Star round this way; and (2) next time you write "f-ed" in lieu of "fucked" I will personally get on a plane to Boston and beat the everloving fuck-shit out of you. We don't play that PG-13 bullshit round here, you bastard. We don't curse, we muh-fucken cuss! (Least I do. Most of my readers are far more eloquent than I, and as a result don't have a need to resort to potty-mouth. And this is a set-the-record-straight/bi-polar digression. Two in one preamble.)

Anyway, I proudly present Young Lucky X:

Superhead… One Rapper’s 'Hoe' is Another Rapper's…errr, 'Ho.'


If I were a ho…I’d be mad. I’d be real mad.

A few nights ago, I caught up on one of my favorite podcasts, NPR’s African American Roundtable hosted by Ed Gordon, the lackluster replacement for Tavis Smiley. It’s a 17-minute shout fest featuring a gaggle of crazy Nigs, conservatives and liberals alike. Good stuff.

Now it must be said that on this particular day, I made the mistake of watching a repeat episode of Diddy’s Making the Band. (A post on this buffoonery is forthcoming). Needless to say, I needed something to reaffirm my hope in Black folks. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t find it on NPR. I double clicked the podcast to hear the following guest list.

Mark Anthony Neal, associate professor of African-American studies at Duke University; Karrine Steffans, a former video dancer and author of Confessions of A Video Vixen; and Shaheem Reed, hip-hop editor at MTV News.

Karrine Steffans, I thought. That name sounds familiar. Who the hell is Karrine Steffans? Hmmm. Is she a bird (no, not if you don’t count chickens), is she a plane (no, but she’s probably f-ed [Editor's note - d'ya see how destracting "f-ed" is. Some unsuspecting child -- or worse -- a Mormon will read this and not know what Lucky was saying. Editorial digression.] some rapper on his private jet). THAT’S RIGHT FOLKS, IT’S SUPERHEAD.

SUPA-HEAD!!! Smack in the middle of a Duke Professor and a respected MTV editor is SUPERHEAD!! (Probably not the first time she’s caught up in the middle of an awkward 3-way.) Listening to Superhead preach to me about black female images in the media is about as tolerable as Condoleezza Rice giving me lessons on proper dental care.

Now, for those of you who don’t know the story of Superhead, here’s a quick summary. For starters, she’s a certified coke-ho (barely a step above a crack-ho). Steffans is a former hip-hop video dancer who, last year, released a best seller, Confessions of a Video Vixen. The book, billed as a ‘cautionary tale’ against living a ho’s life was filled with all sorts of gossipy trinkets. This includes ‘stars’ she’s allegedly smashed. Who, you ask? Among the list are Jay-Z, Fred Durst, Xzibit, Bill Maher, Vin Diesel, Diddy, Irv Gotti, DMX, Bobby Brown, Ja Rule, Kool G Rap, Usher, Shaq, Dre, Ice T and Ray J. That’s right… Ray J. Her pseudonym is self explanatory.

Okay…Okay. Enough jokes.

The discussion circled around the alleged rape at Duke University and focused on the images of black women in the media, particularly in commercial hip hop videos. About 3 minutes into the discussion Superhead, in a brazen attempt at articulation opens her fat mouth. The host asked why she chose to get into hip-hop-hoing. “I didn’t see many Black actresses in movies,” she said “We were only on BET. We were only in the Jay-Z videos.” She said she just wanted to feel pretty. Superhead stop. You knew EXACTLY what the fuck you were doing. You saw the dough, you saw the attention, and you saw the rich rappers. In fact, if you freeze frame the dance sequence in Mystical’s Shake it Fast video, you can see actual dollar signs in Superhead’s eyes.

She continued: “I want to get hold of our young girls and say, listen honey. Get your education first. Get financially stable first. Therefore you wont become desperate and have to take jobs that degrade your body.”

She wants to get a hold on young girls?!! Yes Superhead. Please, PLEASE help the young girls. I’m sure they’re listening. I’m sure Shaneefa and dem are tuned into NPR every evening in the vain hopes of hearing the lessons of some ignorant degenerate. I’m sure they purchased your book and were able to locate the positive message mixed in with the graphic descriptions of your many sexual entanglements. Sure you wear shirts that say ‘Superhead’ on them. I’m sure Shaneefa thinks Superhead means Super Smart.

She’s starting a movement. Yeah, she actually said that. She’s starting a fucking movement. She’s even applying to NYU. Right. What’s her degree going to be in? A Bachelors of Arts in Slaying Rappers with a minor in slaying singers like Ray J?! (No, I can’t get over this Ray J thing.)

Now don’t get me wrong. I have no problem with a person turning their life around and using their semi-celebrity status to speak to others. What bothers me is the shameless self promotion and marketing all hidden behind a cloak of patronage. She doesn’t care. She won’t visit an inner city school or church youth groups. You won’t see her seriously lobby for change in the hip-hop industry. No, those gigs don’t pay enough.

What’s worse is that you have to wait for shock jock pricks like Star (and Buckwild) to set the Superheads in the world straight (he destroyed her last year). Meanwhile, the more respected NPR types simply provide a platform for her hypocrisy.