Saturday, January 06, 2007

From The Beginning, See We Never Seen The Ending








Running up in
All the women, all the linen, all the jewels, huh
We sported Pelle’s, gold, diamonds and Pirelli's
Sports cars, the good life'll give you a belly but that's cool


Jay-Z

In My Lifetime






In my lifetime, three women have shaped me into the man I am today.

One, Aunt M, instilled in me an understanding of right and wrong. And when I say right and wrong I mean moral, honest, true righteousness that guides my actions every waking minute. To some I may be mean, to others a jerk or an ass, but in the end I have the unwavering knowledge that there is “right” and there is “wrong” and one shouldn’t continence wrong. She also told me that I don’t know everything. She was right. I don’t. That’s why I keep reading and learning. Aunt M died August 6, 2002.

My mother gave me my heart -- that part of me that seeks understanding of someone else’s position, not to disprove it, but to understand it. You all owe my Mother a debt of thanks, for I am sure, without the angel that she is, I would likely be leading the other side’s army at Megiddo. Gleefully. She also serves to remind me to keep nourishing my inner child. Fortunately for you all, she is still with us, for when she goes, I’ll see youse all at Megiddo.

The third woman who has shaped my life is my Grandmother. From her, I learned that every single day can – and moreover should – be a party. Whenever I go out, I can always describe the night I had with “I had a ball.” Because I always have a ball. Because she always had a ball. Grandmom died January 5, 2007. She was coming home from a dinner consisting of good friends, laughter, martinis, lobster and Irish coffee. She had had a ball.

Tonight I will go out. I will raise a martini glass to my Grandmom, who I know will be drinking martinis with the saints and the angels, and I will toast a life well lived.

And I guaran-damn-tee you, I’ll have a ball.